Happy Birthday Mr. Bowie
One weekend in 1999, I played a show at the Forest Fall Fair on a flatbed truck. The next weekend I was on Saturday Night Live in David Bowie's band. I was very lucky to be on tour with him for a short time even though being a hired gun was never one of my plans.
Today DB turns 65.
As is the case when everyone gets a little older, I get nervous and want to hang onto them forever.
here are a few of my favourite recollections of my time with David:
1. when I turned 25 and they brought ice cream cake in for MY BIRTHDAY during rehearsals! Cake! Bowie! Heaven!
2. taking a catnap on the couch in the studio during recording. a filipino curls up very well with a thin white duke.
3. when we got a keyboard in for me to trigger trumpet samples for Let's Dance, they set it up and I got behind it and he said, "THAT LOOKS SO COOL" like someone's corny dad might say.
4. taking a car to an art opening in New York. just him and me. unbelievable to me now.
5. when Jimmy King the stylist shrunk David's shirt and the band made a song out of it called Jimmy Shrink That Shirt Again (Tonight) and David actually performed it at one of his shows.
6. When we showed up at a restaurant in Denmark, Bowie looked at it and called it a "fucking pizza hut" and took us all out to a much more swank dinner place.
7. the cigarette in his mouth almost before the plane landed.
8. the looks onstage to let us know it was okay if we had just fucked up. the smiles.
9. when he listened to a song i wrote and said he liked it, but then also said "I like it because it's short" and then he laughed.
10. his heart, his mind, his big hugs. truly an unforgettable human being.
happy birthday david. i miss you. xo